Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Scrubby dishcloth

     Hope you all had a fabulous 4th of July and enjoyed time with your families! I have to admit although I had to work, I probably had the best view for fireworks! There were fireworks going off all over the city and I could see them all from my window! Not quite the same but if I have to miss them, I want a show like that. Over the holiday I finally buckled down finished my project for this post! It's a quick and easy dishcloth, perfect for a beginners project. 

     I've always wanted to learn to crochet, and my poor mother spent hours trying to teach me! The problem came with the fact that she's a lefty and I'm a righty! For some reason, my middle school brain couldn't comprehend how to do the same thing with the opposite hand! So my first project was never finished and I gave up on crocheting all together. 

     Recently, the crochet bug bit me again.  I decided I wanted to learn because it is one of the few crafts you can pick it up and put it down whenever and is portable. So seeing as how my last project ended in disaster I decided to start small. I found instructions for these scrubby dishcloths on Simple Sweet Yarns.  I figured how difficult can it be to make a dishcloth! (haha) After many hours googling and on YouTube, I'm proud to say I finished my first project and you can actually tell what it is! 

     Instead of making you follow in my footsteps of endless searching, I thought I would help with an idiot's guide from a true beginner! Should be simple enough to follow (I hope). Please refer back to the link to Simple Sweet Yarns for the actual pattern.  I will just be showing you steps along the way. 

     Quick note: Choose a yarn that isn't fluffy! You don't want yarn fluff in your dishes! I used cheap $1.99 off brand from Michaels (I got 2 dishcloths out of 1 ball using G & H hooks). Whatever floats your boat! If you find you are having trouble, try using the next size up hook and try easing up on the tension. You can always tighten as needed. My first attempt was with an H hook because I couldn't get it with a G.


Start with a slip knot:

video


Here's the chain stitch:
video


The alternating treble (triple) and single crochet:
video



Turning:
video



How to finish:
       I don't have the fancy tools to weave the tail back through and create a finished edge. So the shortcut is to use your fingers and crochet hook to push the tail in and out through your project's stitches. Not fancy but it works!

 


     And there you have it! When it's all said and done you should have a dishcloth!  I've used mine a few times and love it so far! Seems to hold up well despite my flawed technique! Happy crocheting!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment